Transfer files between iPad and your Mac
- Connect iPad to your Mac.You can connect using USB, or if you set up Wi-Fi syncing, you can use a Wi-Fi connection.
- In the Finder sidebar on your Mac, select your iPad.Note: To use the Finder to transfer files, macOS 10.15 or later is required. With earlier versions of macOS, use iTunes to transfer files.
- At the top of the Finder window, click Files, then do one of the following:
- Transfer from Mac to iPad: Drag a file or a selection of files from a Finder window onto an app name in the list.
- Transfer from iPad to Mac: Click the disclosure triangle beside an app name to see its files on your iPad, then drag a file to a Finder window.
To delete a file from iPad, select it below an app name, press Command-Delete, then click Delete.
Transfer files between iPad and your Windows PC
- Install or update to the latest version of iTunes on your PC.See the Apple Support article Update to the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect iPad to your Windows PC.You can connect using USB, or if you set up Wi-Fi syncing, you can use a Wi-Fi connection.
- In iTunes on your Windows PC, click the iPad button near the top left of the iTunes window.
- Click File Sharing, select an app in the list, then do one of the following:
- Transfer a file from your iPad to your computer: Select the file you want to transfer in the list on the right, click “Save to,” select where you want to save the file, then click Save To.
- Transfer a file from your computer to your iPad: Click Add, select the file you want to transfer, then click Add.
To delete a file from iPad, select the file, press the Delete key, then click Delete.
File transfers occur immediately. To view items transferred to iPad, go to On My iPad in the Files app on iPad. See View files and folders in Files on iPad.
Important: Syncing has no effect on file transfers, so syncing doesn’t keep transferred files on iPad up to date with the files on your computer.
See Transfer files from your Mac to iPhone or iPad in the macOS User Guide or Transfer files between your PC and devices with iTunes in the iTunes User Guide for Windows.