SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE PRODUCTS, INFORMATION AND SPECIFICATIONS WITHOUT NOTICE.
Products and specifications discussed herein are for reference purposes only. All information discussed herein may change without notice and is provided on an “AS IS” basis, without warranties of any kind. This document and all information discussed herein remain the sole and exclusive property of Samsung Electronics. No license of any patent, copyright, mask work, trademark, or any other intellectual property right is granted by one party to the other party under this document, by implication, estoppels, or otherwise. Samsung products are not intended for use in life support, critical care, medical, safety equipment, or similar applications where product failure could result in loss of life or personal or physical harm, or any military or defense application, or any governmental procurement to which special terms or provisions may apply. For updates or additional
information about Samsung products, contact your nearest Samsung office. All brand names, trademarks, and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
COPYRIGHT © 2021
This material is copyrighted by Samsung Electronics. Any unauthorized reproductions, use, or disclosure of this material, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited and is a violation under copyright law.
TRADEMARKS & SERVICEMARKS
The Samsung Logo is the trademark of Samsung Electronics. Adobe is a trademark and Adobe Acrobat is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
For more information, please visit www.samsung.com/magician
|1.0||Initial Release||Sep 2021|
|1.1||Bug fix, Security improvement||Dec 2021|
New Samsung Magician 7
Experience the new user-friendly GUI of Samsung Magician. Try our new features and enhanced functions for a better user experience. Samsung Magician provides an integrated convenient solution for SSD with advanced capabilities.
Samsung Magician software is developed and distributed exclusively for users of Samsung Solid State Drives (SSDs).
New Samsung Magician features a number of improvements over the previous versions.
- New features include:
- Security Setting – added for managing Samsung Portable SSD.
- Help Center – added for your convenience in using Samsung Magician.
- Chatbot – added for helping you with solving a question about Samsung Magician.
Requirements and Support
|Operating System||Windows 7 (32/64bit)Windows 8 & 8.1 (32/64bit)Windows 10 (32/64bit)|
|Disk Capacity||Minimum 400MB available for installation|
|Supported Partition Types||MBR, GPT|
|Supported Languages||English, Korean, Spanish, German, Japanese, Chinese(Simplified), French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian|
|SSD||The following Samsung SSDs are supported*:|
Samsung SSD 980 PRO with Heatsink(M.2) Samsung SSD 980 (M.2) Samsung SSD 980 PRO (M.2) Samsung SSD 970 PRO (M.2) Samsung SSD 970 EVO (M.2)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus (M.2) Samsung SSD 960 PRO (M.2)
Samsung SSD 960 EVO (M.2) Samsung SSD 950 PRO (M.2)
Samsung SSD 870 QVO Samsung SSD 870 EVO Samsung SSD 860 PRO
Samsung SSD 860 EVO (2.5”, mSATA, M.2)
Samsung SSD 860 QVO Samsung SSD 850 PRO Samsung SSD 850
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (2.5”, mSATA, M.2)
Samsung SSD 840 PRO
Samsung SSD 840 EVO (2.5”, mSATA)
Samsung SSD 840 Series Samsung SSD 830 Series Samsung SSD 750 EVO
Samsung Portable SSD Series
Supported Features by model
There are some limitations that exist depending on the type of storage and model.
|Model||Drive Info.||SMART||Performance Benchmark||RAPID||Performance Optimization(TRIM)||Diagno stic Scan||PSIDRevert||Encrypted Drive||Overprovisioning||Secure Erase||Security Setting|
|980 PROwith Heatsink||√||√||√||√||√||√||√||√||√|
|Samsung PSSD T7Touch||√||√||√||√||√||√|
|Samsung PSSD T7 Shield||√||√||√||√||√||√|
|Samsung PSSD X5||√||√||√||√|
RAPID mode Requirements
|Operating System||Windows 7 (32/64bit)Windows 8 & 8.1 (32/64bit)Windows 10 (32/64bit)|
|SSD||Samsung SSD 870 EVO Samsung SSD 870 QVO Samsung SSD 860 PRO|
Samsung SSD 860 EVO (2.5”, mSATA, M.2)Samsung SSD 860 QVO Samsung SSD 850 PROSamsung SSD 850 EVO (2.5”, mSATA, M.2),Samsung SSD 850Samsung SSD 840 PROSamsung SSD 840 EVO (2.5”, mSATA),Samsung SSD 750 EVO
|Processor||1GHz or faster|
|System memory(DRAM)||2GB RAM or more|
|Free Disk Space||Minimum 50MB|
|AMD||Yes(With Latest Driver)|
- Samsung Magician does not require an internet connection to run. However, the internet connection is required to get updates for the latest Firmware, Feature modules, or application and to authenticate the SSDs.
- If you delete some files of the New Samsung Magician without an internet connection, some features like certification or configuration may not work properly and cause limitations in the use of the New Samsung Magician.
- The SSD should not be disconnected from the system while FW Update, Benchmarking, Secure Erase, Over Provisioning, Data Security, PSID Revert, Diagnostic scan, Performance Optimization, or RAPID features are in progress. Doing so could result in data corruption.
- All parallel operations should be terminated before executing Diagnostic scan, Performance Optimization, or Benchmarking features.
- Data corruption may result if the user terminates the Magician application abnormally while Benchmarking, FW Update, Secure Erase, Diagnostic scan, Over Provisioning, Data Security, PSID Revert, or RAPID features are in progress.
- There is always the risk of data loss when updating SSD firmware. It is imperative that the user back up any important data before performing a firmware update.
- If there are some system issues for Magician to perform functions, the System Compatibility in the Information tab will provide a guide to fix the issues.
- If Samsung Magician is under a proxy network environment, it may not provide the full functionality such as firmware update.
- In order for Samsung Magician to function properly, the time of the PC needs to be correctly set.
- Magician does not work with SSDs connected via the SCSI controller interface.
- Only MBR and GPT partition types are supported. The magician may not work with other partition types.
- Magician shows only volumes mounted with letters.
- Magician will not work on SSDs that are locked with a user password.
- The user may need to manually refresh for Magician to accurately reflect all connected/removed disks.
- RAID on the mode in SATA configuration is not supported by Samsung Magician and USB bootable solution.
- If you are using any custom storage driver, then Magician may not work properly. Please always use the latest storage driver or Microsoft driver.
- In Windows 7, the Samsung NVMe Driver is required for Magician to fully support Samsung’s NVMe device.
- In Windows 7, the GUI of the Samsung Magician application may not seem normal intermittently.
- In the case of the function where the progress time is displayed – Performance benchmark, Diagnostic scan, and Performance optimization, changing the system time during the function execution may cause the elapsed time to not appear normally.
- Magician is signed using SHA-2 to provide a safer service. Windows updates or patches may be required to use Magician in Windows 7.
- Depending on the resolution or ratio setting of your display, the bottom and right sides of the Samsung Magician may be out of the screen.
- For the performance benchmark record that was performed in the previous version of Magician 7.0, some values may be marked as Unknown.
- Magician may have compatibility issues with a particular IRST VMD Driver.
- When RAPID is activated, the Restore point warning message is only available in English.
- If Magician gets connected to or disconnected from the PSSD while performing some feature, The magician may not work properly.
- If you try changing the name of security-enabled PSSD T1 / T3, the name won’t be changed without additional guidance when the wrong password is entered.
- For Windows 8.1, an update is required in order of KB2919442, KB2919355, and KB2999226.
- For Windows 8.1 with an update, the KB2999226 update is required.
- Benchmarking may not work with some removable storage devices.
- Performance Benchmark may get timed-out on ASMedia controllers if the driver does not handle multi-thread operations (IOs)
- Performance Optimization supports only the NTFS file system.
- A magician does not support TRIM operation for Standard Performance Optimization on Windows 8 and above, as they support native TRIM.
- Short scan supports only the NTFS file system.
- If the device is locked, both short scan and full scan are not supported.
- When performing a Short scan, secure sufficient space of 5GB or more.
- Samsung NVMe driver v3.3 is required to use SMART Self-test in 970 EVO Plus. In the case of 980, 980 PRO, 980 PRO with Heatsink NVMe driver is not required for it.
- SSD supporting PSID Revert is 860 EVO 860 EVO M.2, 860 EVO MSATA, 860 PRO, 860 QVO, 970 EVO Plus, 870 QVO, 870 EVO, 980, 980 PRO, 980 PRO with Heatsink, PSSD T7, PSSD T7 Touch, PSSD T7 Shield.
- The PSID Revert function can release the encrypted drive using the PSID of the label. After performing PSID Revert, all data on the drive is deleted.
Secure Erase & Linux Bootable Solution
- While making a bootable solution for Secure Erase, please make sure the Device Manager window is closed.
- In some of the PCs, Bootable Solution may not work properly as expected because of compatibility issues.
- The Bootable solution is not compatible with pure SCSI or SATA NVIDIA/LSI/AMD chipset drivers.
- AHCI or ATA mode must be enabled in the BIOS during PC boot up.
- The Bootable solution may hang if the SSD is removed on PCs that do not support the hot plug feature (e.g. ICH5/6 chipsets).
- The Bootable solution will not work with devices attached via SATA 6Gbps (SATA III) operating in IDE mode.
- Secure Erase may not work on systems where SECURITY FREEZE LOCK is issued by the BIOS.
- The keyboard input of the bootable solution requires to be connected to USB 2.0 and below.
- Class 0, TCG Opal, and Encrypted Drive cannot be enabled simultaneously. Only one mode can be enabled at a time and all other modes must be disabled.
- Security mode (Class 0, TCG/Opal, or Encrypted Drive) must be disabled (unlocked) before removing and installing onto another PC.
- Over Provisioning only supports NTFS and raw (Unformatted) partitions.
- Over Provisioning does not support dynamic disks or disks that require ‘Chkdsk’ operation.
- Magician cannot guarantee that Over Provisioning scans disk’s partition layout properly if partition information had been changed during scanning.
- Over Provisioning may fail, even though enough free space is available if your system suffers from cluster misalignment.
- If the user cannot span or shrink volume size through disk management of OS administration tool, it is possible not to work dynamic over-provisioning properly.
- Windows ‘Disk Partition Service’ and ‘Virtual disk Service’ should not be disabled in order to perform Over Provisioning.
- Over Provisioning can only be performed on the last accessible partition (NTFS or raw)
- If a device with more than 4TB applied to the MBR partition is used, the function may not operate normally.
- Finding my password is unavailable on Samsung Magician.
- Up to four fingerprints can be registered on Samsung Magician.
- PC will be shut down automatically after firmware update (Magician counts down 20 seconds before shutdown).
- Firmware Updates may fail on Samsung brand SSDs connected to AMD Controller. Please retry using the default SATA AHCI controller (Microsoft drivers).
- When booting the PC, users can decide whether to auto-run Samsung Magician. If autorun is turned off, updates cannot be received in real-time.
- The device scan proceeds immediately after the language is changed.
- Scaling size varies depending on the resolution.
RAPID mode Limitations
- RAPID mode accelerates only one SSD even though the user has several Samsung SSDs (870 QVO, 870 EVO, 860 QVO, 860 EVO, 860 PRO, 850 PRO, 850 EVO, 850, 750 EVO, 840 EVO, and 840 PRO regardless of form factor).
- If there are two identical SSDs connected, a RAPID mode may accelerate the incorrect SSD.
- RAID Mode sets are not supported as an accelerated drive.
- After uninstalling RAPID mode, if the system is restored to a prior state in which RAPID mode was installed, RAPID mode will be started in a disabled state.
- NVIDIA Storage controller is not supported.
- During RAPID mode Enable/Disable operation: Do not disconnect the target SSD, Do not kill the application.
- If a fast startup is enabled on windows 8, 8.1, and 10 machines, RAPID mode enable/disable requires a system restart. The shutdown followed by turning on the power will not activate RAPID mode enable/disable. By default, fast startup is enabled.
- Flush command of operating system and/or application may cause variation in performance when RAPID mode is enabled.
- Sometimes on AMD PC with AMD and ASMedia storage controllers, it was found that the IOs take a longer time to complete. In such cases, if Rapid was enabled, it may get automatically disabled due to such IO errors. It may display “Rapid is in the inactive state”. The user has to reboot the PC to enable the Rapid back.
- If multiple iterations of Reading and Write are performed, the RAPID mode may become inactive due to system internal errors on some of the AMD / ASMedia Controller or Driver.
- RAPID mode can’t be guaranteed on the target SSD with the non-NTFS file system.
- If the user deletes some files on the RAPID folder, RAPID may not be uninstalled properly.
- If the msiexec.exe is either unstable or corrupted, RAPID mode enable fails with the error message “The Windows Installer service failed to start. Start the Windows Installer service manually, upgrade the Windows Installer service, and check if the last updated or installed program in Windows was successful. If the problem persists, contact the A/S center.”
The issue can be fixed by:
- Unregister and reregister the Windows Installer service / MSI service.
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- In the Open box, type “msiexec /unreg”. And then press ENTER.
- On the Start menu, click Run
- In the Open box, type “msiexec /regserver”. And then press ENTER.
- Try enabling RAPID mode again.
- If the RAPID mode does not enable, follow the steps below.
- Updating Windows Installer
- If your Windows Installer is not the latest version, corrupted, or msiexec is missing, please install the latest version of Windows Installer, then try enabling RAPID mode again.
- If none of the above procedures work, we recommend reinstalling Windows.
Operational Check of RAPID mode
RAPID mode starts its operation 45 seconds after OS booting. Please make sure the increased size of the non-paged pool using “task manager → performance → memory tab” to ensure it is fully operational.
End of Document
Design and contents of this manual are subject to change without notice.
©2021 Samsung Electronics, Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Documents / Resources
|SAMSUNG Samsung Magician 7 Software [pdf] Installation Guide|
Samsung Magician 7 Software, Samsung Magician 7, Software