Honeywell HFD-12XX Oscillating Tower Air Purifier
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
READ AND SAVE THESE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS AIR PURIFIER
When using electrical appliances, basic precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock, and injury to persons, including the following:
- Read all instructions before operating the air purifier.
- Place air purifier where it is not easily overturned by persons in the household.
- ALWAYS turn the air purifier controls to the OFF position and unplug from the wall outlet when not in use.
- To disconnect the air purifier, press the Power button to turn the unit OFF, grip the plug and pull it from the wall outlet. NEVER pull by the cord.
- DO NOT use any product with a damaged cord or plug, any product that malfunctions, or any product that has been dropped or damaged in any manner. Keep the cord away from heated surfaces.
- DO NOT use air purifier outdoors.
- DO NOT use air purifier unless it is fully assembled.
- DO NOT run power cord under carpets, and DO NOT cover with throw rugs. Arrange cord such that it will not be a trip hazard.
- DO NOT use air purifier where combustible gases or vapors are present.
- DO NOT expose the air purifier to rain, or use near water, in a bathroom, laundry area, or other damp location.
- The air purifier MUST be used in its upright position.
- DO NOT allow foreign objects to enter ventilation or exhaust opening as this may cause electric shock or damage to the air purifier. DO NOT block air outlets or intakes.
- Locate air purifier near the outlet and DO NOT use an extension cord or power strip.
- This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit only one way in a polarized outlet.
- If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician. DO NOT attempt to defeat this safety feature.
- A loose fit between the AC outlet (receptacle) and plug may cause overheating and a distortion of the plug. Contact a qualified electrician to replace loose or worn outlet.
- DO NOT sit, stand, or place heavy objects on the air purifier.
- ALWAYS disconnect power supply before servicing.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Filters may be harmful if ingested. Avoid breathing dust when changing filters.
- SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
For FCC compliance information, please see last page of this manual.
WARNING: To Reduce The Risk of Fire or Electric Shock, DO NOT Use This Air Purifier With Any Solid-State Speed Control Device.To Reduce The Risk of Fire or Electric Shock, DO NOT Use This Air Purifier With Any Solid-State Speed Control Device.
GETTING TO KNOW YOUR AIR PURIFIER
ENHANCED ODOR REDUCTION
The Washable Pre-Filter comes installed in your air purifier and removes larger particles from the air that passes through the filter. You may use this Washable Pre-Filter, or you have the choice to use the Optional Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter that is packed in a bag that came with the air purifier. In addition to capturing larger particles, the K Pre-Filter helps reduce common household odors and VOCs. If you choose to use the K Pre-Filter, you must remove the installed Washable Pre-Filter then insert the K Pre-Filter. Remove K Pre-Filter from plastic bag before use.
NOTE: The K Pre-Filter cannot be washed and should be replaced every 3 months for optimum performance.
NOTE: Please only use one pre-filter in your air purifier at a time. You will need to choose whether you want to use the Washable Pre-Filter or the replaceable Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter. Both are included with your air purifier at the time of purchase.The K Pre-Filter cannot be washed and should be replaced every 3 months for optimum performance.
NOTE: Please only use one pre-filter in your air purifier at a time. You will need to choose whether you want to use the Washable Pre-Filter or the replaceable Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter. Both are included with your air purifier at the time of purchase.
HOW YOUR AIR PURIFIER WORKS
This model air purifier incorporates a 3-stage cleaning system to help clean the air that passes through the filters in the unit (Fig. 1).
Stage 1: Washable or odor-reducing Pre-Filter (your choice) attaches to the rear grille. Captures larger airborne particles and helps reduce Odors and VOCs (when used with Optional K Pre-Filter).
Stage 2: Permanent, Washable ifD® Particle Filter. Captures the following microscopic airborne particles: dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mite debris and smoke.
Stage 3: Electronic Ionizer boosts the cleaning power.
- Select a firm, level, and flat location. Ensure the front of the unit faces away from the closest wall or furniture and that no grilles are blocked.
- When operating, large volumes of air are drawn toward the air purifier. Surrounding areas should be cleaned and/or vacuumed frequently to prevent build-up of dust and other contaminants. This may also help prolong the life of the filter. If the unit is placed on a light colored carpet, a small mat or rug should be used underneath to prevent staining. This is especially important in homes with contamination from smoking or fireplaces.
The energy efficiency of this ENERGY STAR certified model is measured based on a ratio between the model’s CADR for Smoke and the electrical energy it consumes, or CADR/Watt.
- Ensure the air purifier is plugged into a working electrical outlet.
- Press the power button once. The unit will start at medium speed for a few seconds and then automatically change to low speed (Fig. 2).
- Press the power button again to select a different cleaning level. It is recommended that you run your air purifier 24 hours a day while you are at home to ensure continuous cleaning. Portable air purifiers are more effective in rooms where all doors and windows are closed.
To help circulate fresher, cleaner air through the room, this unit has an oscillation feature.
- To turn Oscillation On, simply press the Oscillation button (Fig. 3).
- To turn Oscillation Off, press the button again.
ELECTRONIC FILTER CLEAN REMINDER
When it is time to check and clean the filters, an indicator light will illuminate. When this light comes on, you will need to clean the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filter(s) and clean or replace the pre-filter. (See Filter Cleaning instructions on pages 5-6). It is recommended that you periodically check the filters. Depending on operating conditions, the filters should be cleaned every 3 months. If you have chosen to use the Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter, it is NOT washable and should be replaced after 3 months. After you have cleaned or replaced the filters, you will need to RESET the Electronic Filter Check.
To RESET the Electronic Filter Check:
After the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filter(s) and pre-filter have been cleaned/replaced and re-installed in the unit, plug the unit into the power outlet with the unit still in POWER OFF mode. Insert a tip of a ball-point pen or paper clip next to the LED filter check light and hold for approximately 3 seconds (Fig. 4). The CHECK FILTERS LED will flash twice indicating the Electronic Filter Check has been reset. The LED will no longer be illuminated. These cleaning intervals are intended as guidelines only. The performance of any filter media is dependent upon the concentration of particles going through the system. High concentrations of particles such as dust, pet dander and smoke particles will reduce the useful performance of the filter and they may need to be cleaned more frequently.
REMOVING THE FILTERS
CAUTION: Turn off the air purifier and wait 60 seconds before removing the grille to clean filters.
WARNING: Filters may be harmful if ingested. Avoid breathing dust when changing filters. The Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters are supplied within the air purifier.
- Turn-off the air purifier. Wait 60 seconds and unplug the unit before removing the grille.
- Press down on the tab on the rear grille and pull the grille down and toward you. Remove the grille (Fig. 5).
- With one hand, hold the air purifier steady and use another hand to grasp the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filter. Repeat for the second Permanent, Washable ifD® Filter.
- To place the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters back into the air purifier housing, insert at the bottom and ensure it is pushed in as far as it can go, then push in from the top. Repeat for the second ifD® Filter.
- The air purifier will not turn on if the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters or the rear grille are not seated properly.
CLEANING THE PERMANENT, WASHABLE IFD® FILTERS
WARNING: Filters may be harmful if ingested. Avoid breathing dust when changing/cleaning filters The Permanent, Washable ifD® Filter(s) should be cleaned approximately every 3 months.
Turn the power off and unplug the air purifier. After removing the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters from the air purifier, follow the steps below to clean the ifD® Filters.
- Rinse the filter with clean tap water (Fig. 6).
- If the filter still appears dirty, proceed to “Washing,” otherwise proceed to “Drying.”
- Remove the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters from the unit.
- Fill a sink with lukewarm water and add a few drops of mild dish soap.
- Gently swish the filter in the soap solution to clean.
- Soak the filter for 2-3 minutes. DO NOT leave for an extended period of time.
- Rinse the filter with clean tap water (Fig. 6) and proceed to “Drying.”
- Shake the filters to remove any excess water.
- Place the filters with the honeycomb side down on a plush towel.
- Note that the filters may still be discolored even after washing. This is acceptable and will not affect performance.
- Allow the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters to dry for a few hours or overnight.
- When the Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters are completely dry, place back into the air purifier.
- NEVER place wet ifD® Filters in your air purifier.
- The Permanent, Washable ifD® Filters are NOT dishwasher safe. DO NOT place the ifD® Filters in a dishwasher or subject it to other extreme hot water conditions.
- DO NOT use any solvents, cleaning agents, or flammable liquids to clean the ifD® Filters.
MAINTAINING YOUR WASHABLE PRE-FILTER
The Washable Pre-Filter helps capture large airborne particles that enter the rear grille. This Pre-Filter can be periodically removed and shaken to clean it. Alternatively, it can be rinsed by hand under warm water (Fig. 7).Let the Pre-Filter air dry completely before inserting back into the grille (Fig. 8).
OPTIONAL: Changing the Odor Reducing Pre-Filter If you choose to use the Odor Reducing K Pre-Filter that came with your air purifier, it will lose its effectiveness for odor reducing over time and will need to be replaced. To purchase additional K Pre-Filter, see Accessories and Replacement Filters section below. If using the Odor Reducing Pre-Filter, it is recommended that you store the original Washable Pre-Filter in the event that you decide to use it in the future. To install it in the unit, simply place it securely into the rear grille held in place with plastic tabs in lieu of the standard pre-filter as shown in (Fig. 8).
NOTE: The Odor Reducing Pre-Filter is NOT washable.
WARNING: Filters may be harmful if ingested. Avoid breathing dust when changing/cleaning filters
CLEANING AND STORAGE
We recommend that you clean the air purifier at least once every 3 months and before extended storage. Use only a dry cloth to wipe the external surfaces of the air purifier. DO NOT USE WATER, WAX, POLISH, OR ANY CHEMICAL SOLUTION.
ACCESSORIES AND REPLACEMENT FILTERS
There is an optional Pre-Filter that can be purchased and used with this air purifier that will help reduce common household odors and VOCs. The K Pre-Filter (HRF-K2) can be used in lieu of the Washable Pre-Filter that is supplied with the air purifier. The optional K Pre-Filter should be replaced every 3 months for optimum odor and VOC reduction performance. You may purchase Honeywell Replacement Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter Model HRF-K2 (2 pack) at the retailer where you purchased your air purifier or they can be ordered directly from www.HoneywellPluggedIn.com. Use only Genuine Honeywell Replacement Filters. If you have any questions about ifD® Particle Filter or the Washable Pre-Filter, call Consumer Relations at 1-800-477-0457.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I use the additional pre-filter that is packed in the plastic bag?
Your air purifier came with an installed Washable Pre-Filter that helps capture the larger airborne particles before they reach the ifD® Filters. If you would like the additional benefit of Odor & VOC Reduction, you may replace the Washable Pre-Filter with the Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter that was packed in a plastic bag with the purifier. You must first remove the Washable Pre-Filter that came in your air purifier and replace it with the K Pre-Filter. This pre-filter is not washable and should be replaced every 3 months for optimum performance.
Can I wash my Odor & VOC Reducing K Pre-Filter?
No. Washing the Odor & VOC Reducing Pre-filter will destroy it. However, the product comes with a Washable Pre-Filter, which can be used instead of the Odor & VOC Reduction Pre-Filter.
How long should I run my Air Purifier?
It is recommended that you run your air purifier when you are at home to help clean the air. This unit will be more effective when doors and windows are closed. If desired or conditions warrant, you may run your air purifier 24 hours a day.
My Air Purifier is starting to make noise and the air output is less. What’s wrong?
The filters may be dirty. High amounts of particles can block the pores in the filter and stop the air from moving through it. The filter and pre-filter should be cleaned.
How does the electronic filter check work?
The filter check LED will illuminate when it is time to check the filters after 3 months of continuous operation of the air purifier. After the filters have been cleaned, you should reset the Electronic Filter Check. See instructions on page 5.
My Filter Check Light has not come on but when I checked my filter, it was really dirty.
In conditions where smoke, pets, or air with a lot of particles are present, it is possible that the filter could be dirty sooner than indicated by the Check Filters light. The Check Filters light on your unit runs on a timer and if there are more particles in your air than in an average home, your filter could need cleaning sooner than indicated on the display. The indicator is intended to be used as a guideline and individual environmental conditions will vary.
My unit will not turn on.
The air purifier has safety features to ensure that the unit is ready for operation. Check to make sure that the ifD® Filters and rear grille are installed correctly. When properly installed, you will hear an audible “click” when you re-install both the ifD® Filters and the rear grille. If your unit still won’t turn on, contact Consumer.
The ionizing process used by the air purifier produces a small amount of ozone as a byproduct. The air purifier complies with the U.S. Government limits for acceptable levels of ozone (less than 50 parts per billion by volume of air circulating through the product). Studies have demonstrated that you will get more ozone in a room from simply opening a window than you will get from operating an air cleaner with ifD® filters. This air purifier complies with federal ozone emissions limit. ARB certified. This product complies with the maximum allowable concentration of ozone of 0.050 parts per million by volume (ppmv) in a 24-hour period. The Health Canada Guideline 2010 recommends that the maximum exposure limit, based on an averaging time of 8 hours, is 0.020 ppmv or less when tested in a sealed, controlled room approximately 30 m3.
5 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
You should first read all instructions before attempting to use this product.
- This 5-year limited warranty applies to the repair or replacement of products found to be defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to damage resulting from commercial, abusive, unreasonable use or supplemental damage. Defects that are the result of normal wear and tear will not be considered manufacturing defects under this warranty. KAZ USA, INC. IS NOT LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you also may have other rights which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of this product from the original date of purchase.
- At its option, Kaz will repair or replace this product if it is found to be defective in material or workmanship.
- This warranty does not cover damage resulting from any unauthorized attempts to repair or from any use not in accordance with the instruction manual.
- This warranty does not cover the ifD® filters or pre-filters except for material or workmanship defects.
Please go to www.HoneywellPluggedIn.com/warranty-registration to register your product and receive product information updates and new promotional offers.
We are here to help answer any questions you may have about this product. Call us toll-free at 1-800-477-0457 or visit our website at: www.HoneywellPluggedIn.com/contact-us. Please be sure to specify the model number.
NOTE: IF YOU EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM, PLEASE CONTACT CONSUMER RELATIONS FIRST OR SEE YOUR WARRANTY. DO NOT RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL PLACE OF PURCHASE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE MOTOR HOUSING YOURSELF, DOING SO MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE AIR PURIFIER OR PERSONAL INJURY.
Documents / Resources
|Honeywell HFD-12XX Oscillating Tower Air Purifier [pdf] Owner’s Manual|
HFD-12XX, HFD-12XC, HFD-140XX, HFD-140XC, HFD-12XX Oscillating Tower Air Purifier, HFD-12XX, Oscillating Tower Air Purifier